Decision Maker: Cabinet Member for Finance, Property and Regeneration
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: No
The updated policy will replace the one published in 2015 and will set out the rehousing options, financial compensation and general support for Council tenants where the Council wants to acquire their properties to enable housing renewal to go ahead.
1. That the Cabinet Member for Finance, Property and Regeneration agreed the Policy for Tenants in Housing Renewal Areas 2019as set out in Appendix B and noted that it replaces the Westminster City Council Tenant Decant Policy for Renewal Areas 2015.
2. That the Cabinet Member for Finance, Property and Regeneration agreed that the Policy for Tenants in Housing Renewal Areas 2019in Appendix B be applied to current and future designated housing renewal areas.
3. That the Cabinet Member for Finance, Property and Regeneration delegated authority to the Director responsible for Regeneration, in conjunction with the Cabinet Member responsible for Regeneration, to decide when the Policy should be implemented.
4. That the Cabinet Member for Finance, Property and Regeneration noted that adjustments as set out below be made to the Council’s Housing Allocation Scheme so that it be in line with the proposed Policy for Tenants in Housing Renewal Areas 2019:
4.1 Council tenants that need to move due to housing renewal have the highest priority.
4.2 Additional priority is awarded to council tenants that are moving under Options 2 and 3 in the Policy that meet the criteria set out in 7.20, so those with the highest needs are prioritised for local supply.
4.3 That the Allocation Scheme makes it clear that there are some variations to the usual Bedroom Standard, which determines the size of the new home, for tenants moving due to housing renewal, such as in the circumstances set out at 7.7, 7.9 and 7.12 of the Policy.
5. That the Cabinet Member for Finance, Policy and Regeneration noted that adjustments be made to the council’s Accommodation Placement Policy for Homeless Households so households in temporary accommodation in housing renewal areas, that need to move due to housing renewal, will be prioritised for alternative temporary accommodation in London (Band 2 of the Policy), unless they meet the criteria for Band 1.
6. That the Cabinet Member for Finance, Property and Regeneration noted that adjustments be made to the selection criteria for Homeownership Westminster, the council’s intermediate housing service, to give council tenants affected by housing renewal high priority for any local home ownership opportunities.
Reasons for Decision
1. An updated Policy for Tenants in Housing Renewal Areas is needed in order to improve the council’s rehousing offer to affected council tenants and to incorporate the learning from the council having run decant programmes for a number of years.
2. An improved Policy will help to ensure that schemes are not delayed due to council tenants not having an attractive offer and being unwilling to move. This in turn will help to ensure that the new affordable homes being developed through housing renewal are delivered as quickly as possible for those in housing need.
Publication date: 17/09/2019
Date of decision: 17/09/2019