Decision Maker: Leader of the Council
Decision status: Recommendations Approved (subject to call-in)
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: No
Review of the Council's policies relating to
maternity, paternity, adoption and shared parental leave and
That the Leader of the Council agreed:
1. to enhance the maternity pay to 26 weeks full pay, followed by 26 weeks half pay.
2. to make the new pay allowance available under the Shared Parental Leave policy so that partners can also access it.
3. that parents of babies born at or before 37 weeks be entitled to receive an extra week’s leave and pay for every week their premature baby spends in hospital before their due date as part of the ‘Smallest Things’ campaign.
4. All employees will be entitled to reasonable, fully paid time off for antenatal care, pre-adoption and adoption order interviews.
5. that the scheme be launched on 1 January 2019 and be backdated to 1 April 2018.
6. that backdating will apply to current employees only and will ensure those that have recently returned from maternity leave are included.
Reasons for Decision
This proposal improves the levels of benefits and pay for parents on maternity/parental leave.
In line with our diversity agenda, this benefit would be made available to all employees regardless of their gender. The enhanced pay allowance will be available under the adoption leave and shared parental leave schemes.
Publication date: 07/12/2018
Date of decision: 07/12/2018